Thursday, October 18, 2007

Feeling so inspired!

I would just like to say that I have been feeling so fantastically inspired by the interview presentations given last week!! The theme that I took away from most of the interviews and the advice given by the women leaders was, "Let your passions guide you." I'm thinking that this is going to be one of the most challenging and rewarding times for me-the discovering of what my passions are and how I want to utilize those in a career.
On another note... This whole exploration of women and sexuality in the media has been very helpful and eye-opening for me. I grew up with a mother who loved me and did the very best she could with the resources she had. However, one thing that never changed was her dissatisfaction with herself. She was never happy with how she looked. I wish that I could post a picture of her on here, because she is probably one of the most beautiful women I have ever met. As much as I wish I could say that her constant self-dissatisfaction didn't have an effect on me, it did.
Up until taking this class actually I've struggled with body and self-esteem issues. I think that this group project and exploring women's portrayal in the media and advertisements, is going to be wonderful for me in the sense that I'll really be able to question these false, overly-high expectations of beauty that I feel.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I feel like you said you were graduating after this semester--but if you're not and I just happened to imagine you saying that, I would recommend taking Prof Scott's Gender Representations in Popular Culture next semester. I took that class last fall and it really made me start noticing how men and women are portrayed so unfairly in the media and the implications that those representations can have on all of us. It's amazing and it will change your life.