Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Komives, parts 4 & 5

Part 4 of the text is all about change. The authors attempt to clarify the necessity for change, how to deal with it, why people resist it, & how you can help manage change so people are less resistant. The very first thing the authors wrote about this section is a quote from Alvin Toffler: "'...change is the process by which the future invades our lives.'" (p 325)I loved this quote because while we all know that some change is good, it does not necessarily mean that wee have a choice in the matter. The future is coming at us and we just have to deal, because we cannot stop it.
In chapter 11, Understanding Change, the authors stated that, "Human beings...want to control their environments, and some experience an even greater need to be in control of their surrounding." (p 331) At my previous university I was on student government. After being on for a couple years, a person ran for President & won. However, this person was never on student government before - so had no idea how things worked. She came into the organization she was going to run the place (being president, and all...) however, it was not her job. Her job was dealing with administration. It was actually my job to run the board & meetings. She had a lot of changes to deal with at one time - not only was she joining a new organization, but she took on a leadership role with no experience. This quote reminds me of her: she was struggling to remain in control of everything, because of all the changes she was faced with as well as her false expectations. I think if she had better understood what she was getting into, she would have dealt with it better.
I love the quote the authors used in chapter 12 from Saul Alinsky: “’Change means movement; movement means friction; friction means heat; heat means controversy.’” (p 351) Change almost never comes easy, no matter how many people may be in favor of the change, there’s always going to be one who is against it.
It was also interesting to read about the differences between the Relational Leadership model and the Social change model. I like that the social change model focuses on the “dynamic interplay between” different people and groups. It’s very much related to how we live our everyday lives.

Part 5 of the text discussed development and renewal. I really appreciated the last chapter which focused on the person. On page 422 the authors asked you to list your top five strengths. I did and it was interesting to see what would make them my “signature strengths.” I have been considering different career possibilities and those strengths that were my “signature strengths” really fell in step as necessities for those careers that I’ve been thinking about. From this reading and personal experience, I feel it’s important to find a career that fits in with those strengths so I can have a job that does make me happy.

No comments: