Thursday, November 15, 2007

Final section of Exploring Leadership

Although this book was long, and difficult at times to get through, I absolutely loved it and plan on keeping it (rather than selling it) to use as a reference tool in my future leadership roles!
For the last few chapters of the book, I'd like to place most of my focus on the Chapter 14, as I feel that caring for one's own inner-environment is one of the most important aspects of leadership.
The section on Leadership Development as Renewal seems to me not only a great framework for leadership, but definitely a wonderful framework for life as well. I feel so excited by Covey's idea of the 'Principle Centered Leader': "They are continually learning. They are service-oriented. They radiate positive energy. They believe in themselves and in other people. They lead balanced lives. They see life as an adventure. They are synergistic. They exercise for self-renewal." (pp.33-39, 424.)
To take these qualities a step deeper, I think that it would be fair to say that a whole book could be written on how to further cultivate this kind of life style. Currently I'm really exploring within myself, how to be fully who I am, and how that fits in with my relationship to the outside world. I have felt somewhat different from most based on a lot of the questions that I've been asking myself, and feel such a great sense of reaffirmation upon reading (especially) the last section of this book.
A very strong personal belief of mine has always been, that the way we treat ourselves will be directly affected in the way that we treat others. I think that this idea is magnified especially in close-knit group situations. So to pull this idea back into the text, (for me) means that the most important thing I can do to really cultivate the Principle Centered Leader within myself is to first turn all of these ideas inward in the hopes of striving towards increased integration (integrity) which seems to be the foundation of successful leadership.

No comments: