Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Wilson Chapters 6-8, Laura Ann

Wilson Chapter 6

The title of this chapter made me stop to think about whether or not in a mens leadership book this chapter would be included. Probably not. The chapter talks about how we want our women leaders to come "fully assembled," that's not fair. The best swing sets don't come fully assembled, it's an all day event to put the thing together. Why should women have to come fully prepared and ready but men can learn it while they work? I also liked how they pointed out that the men wanted a "Take Our Sons to Work Day," why cant they just be happy? It's kind of annoying that women have to share everything with men and not see the same benefits as men. The quote "When anything becomes feminized, the pay diminishes, the stratification in the work increases, and the status diminishes." Isn't that typical? That is like saying if you wear yellow, you're screwed. Its an erroneous classification.

Wilson Chapter 7

Hooray for President Barbie! (The red one anyways.) As a kid growing up in the 90's I was big into Barbie and until this class I didn't really realize the influence they had on me. When I was really little I always wanted to be a nurse or a flight attendant... never a doctor or a pilot. When I got to middle school I decided that I was going to be a lawyer. (I don't think that they ever made a lawyer Barbie.) I think that if there was a president Barbie earlier I would have been ready to be more than a housewife. I also liked the part that talked about the women in the media and movie industry. I didn't realize that the reason why women are underrepresented in movies as the heroes is because of the lack of female directors. Media helps us to identify what the changing culture of the US... more women directors, more women in the hero role.

Wilson Chapter 8

WOMEN CAN AND MUST HELP RULE THE WORLD!! I really like the story about the law firm and how they helped the women take charge rather than opposing them. The "green book" is a good example of how Alabama got women to speak up! I think that the more we help women to become leaders the more initiative women will want to take on their own. We can inspire future generations to want to be President, not housewives. "It requires an insistence and persistence on the part of women (and their male allies) to get there because men will not automatically sign on."

1 comment:

Katie Lodovisi-Nichols said...

The "green book" in chapter 8 is a perfect example of how much we really can do. These women are from one of the poorest states in the US, but they are out there trying to empower women, and it's working! Furthermore, it really shows the difference between men and women and the issues we tackle(not to say the issues men deal with are not important). It took a group of women to really start addressing this problem and making a difference, because of the approach they took.