Thursday, September 27, 2007

Chapter 9 & the afterword

I loved chapter 9! I collect quotes and sayings, and that's all this chapter was. I loved that she devoted such a big space for everything the women had to say. To me this just emphasizes the point that what women say matters!

In the quotes focused on the obstacles women have had to overcome, Connie Duckworth said: "'Speak too forcefully and you are considered overbearing; speak too softly, and you are considered to have no opinion..."' Her quote spoke to me on a personal level. I have had that problem so many times in my life. Just because I voiced my opinion I was called pushy. Yet, all the guys around me where able to say what they thought! I also liked the quote from Val Acherman, which was about getting yourself into positions that can lead to better or higher up positions. I think a lot of people (and not just women) get overwhelmed at the idea of taking on a big role in companies, thinking it's too much to handle. But, how often do you enter a company and after a year get offered the COO position? It doesn't happen! People ignore the steps they have to take in order to get to that "big" leadership roles and so often think they can't do it.

I liked that so many women gave advice about asking for what you want. Women tend to have this fear of asking for things, and so often it's those very women who are pushing their partners to talk to their bosses about getting a raise or wanting a bigger role in their companies. People think it's ok for men to ask but not women. But, if you don't ask and show an interest why would you get a promotion? Even if your bosses see that you are a great worker and deserve, if you don't show interest they would likely think you're happy where you're at in the company.
In the Afterword it was interesting to learn about the programs that were founded in order to empower women. But it makes me wonder how many more programs that men have. Because I would think that basically any program that is set up to help “people” or promote “people” would generally serve the male population. On the other hand, I think if there are not tons more there probably are not any organizations comparable. Because why would they need such organizations when most of the general population is already donating money to these men through their private campaigns. Additionally, as Wilson has pointed out, men expect to get these positions and are not as worried about being completely prepared for the task as women are.

No comments: